Saturday, August 13, 2005

I Promised and I deliver

Well I said that I would write over the weekend with a review of the past week. It's been the 3rd week of playschemes and often this is the hardest week of all. The first two seem to fly by, but this one is the one which hurts the most. I think it's the realisation of how much work has gone into them, and that at this point you are settling into a pattern of work with them. That's when things stop being exciting and new, but regular and mundane, which then becomes tiring.

Tuesday was the day the Ofsted inspector arrived, I'd predicted this as the day to be honest, and I was correct. Things could have been worse, they could have been better, but if things had been perfect would that have been a good picture of the playscheme? No, it wouldn't things have been far from perfect, and I'd never expect a playscheme to be perfect. Many things went well and she was impressed by various aspects of the scheme, and others were lacking. It has helped me somewhat in terms of planning for next year and also for idea's of what to do next time. The problem that evolved out of her visit was that by the time she left, it was too late for me to take my group to the bowling alley, so we trotted off to the local park.

We had an incident during the day, which I've not come across before on a playscheme, which was good in many ways. I dealt with it the best way I could and perhaps the only way I could have. I'm more than happy with the way I dealt with that, though it didn't take away any of the problems, it just proved to me that I was doing things in the correct way.

Wednesday was our day trip to the local Theme Park, which the kids loved. They always love that place and as they get to go on the rides quickly because of the disabilities (I know it isn't always fair them jumping the lines, but it is helpful). I only went on one ride late in the day, the log flume. I got a bit wet, but not as wet as some of the volunteers. I had other things to concern myself with, like being at the base camp incase something happened. It was a pleasant day to be honest, which went without a hitch. It was the last day on playscheme's for a couple of the kids and they left feeling happy about the experience, which filled me with much joy.

Wednesday night saw me go around to my friends house for a meal and a sort of house warming. It was a very odd night, in that I was feeling very tired. I think it was partly due to the inspection the previous day. It took a lot of energy out of me and Wednesday night I relaxed. We went for a curry at the local Indian restaurant, which was ok, but wasn't the greatest. We then went back to the flat and had a couple more drinks. I took the spare bed and left a couple of others to fight over the sofa and the mattress on the floor. As I said in the previous post, I had little sleep, as the quilt was very warm, despite having the window wide open in the room. The flat was really nice and I really like what they've done with it.

Thursday I did an extra day on playscheme's by driving for one of the other scheme's to the local junior theme park. That wasn't as bad for me as the previous day as I wasn't in charge, but it was still fraught. I found myself doing possibly more than I would and perhaps should have done. I survived the day, but not without serious questions about things. I was very pissed off at someone for the way the day had panned out and while I don't blame them to a point I do blame them for other things.

Friday was a quiet and peaceful day in terms of playscheme. I was on the mini scheme again, and unlike last week I wasn't attacked. I made sure that I didn't end up in that situation again and we had a really nice day. After the day was over it was straight to the pub again for a few drinks before coming home for a chinese. I must say that my chinese wasn't as good as normal from the place I ordered it from, yet it was still really nice. I have to get my head sorted on what I do and do not like from there.

I guess that today's colour has been dictated by me as the soccer season started over here in earnest today. Both my teams, Man Utd and FC United of Manchester won. I was more impressed by FCUM than Man Utd, but that will be the case for most of the season as they are a brand new team.

No comments: