Sunday, October 16, 2005

Energised

I've not posted for a few days, partly due to not having much to say, and partly due to being at a conference in Belfast for a day or two. I know it doesn't sound a lot, a 2 day conference break, but it was more than I needed and you know what I've come back with a fresh attitude, one which has awakened a side of me I had no idea could be ignited.

The conference was the bi annual LGBT conference for everyone at Barnardo's. It has got me thinking about lots of things that need to be done not only for the children, but volunteers and everyone connected with Salford Families. I know it's early days since the conference and that I've come back happy and energised by it, but I do want to make this contribution. I'll possibly be met by some barriers, but I'm not going to let up on this one, I'm ready to fight this one out.

Belfast was a really nice place and one which I'll go back too next year possibly, and one that is fun to be in. I'll have to explore it closer than I was able to this weekend. The conference went without a hitch, we had a few speakers, all of whom were powerful and thought provoking. I've got to say that you read about the problems in Ireland, and then when you get down to something like LGBT issues and how it affects them, it scares you. Under normal circumstances 29% of anything is a large number, but to have that as the amount of under 25 year olds who id themselves to be LBGT try suicide is horrible. I know I've been in that position, but even so, that's horrific. I can't change Ireland, but if I can make a small effort to help here in Salford then all the better.


No comments: