Saturday, October 22, 2005

Lowlights

Some days start off well and then end badly, some days start of well and finish even better. Today is neither of those days. Yesterday started off ok, I was quite happy when I woke up and got out of bed. I'd been paid for one and was looking forward to the days work. That was as far as I got. First up my Oilers lost to there local rivals, and then the motorways was chockablock. It took me near enough 25 minutes to travel 300 yards and all because of a speed camera.

I arrived late to collect the child I was picking up, and dropped him off late at school, which in turn made me late for the meeting at work. This some how set the tone for the day. It went from bad to worse as everything I didn't want I got from the meeting. It was most unlike the previous week in Belfast, but that trip made yesterday all the more bearable as I know that I've got other work to do apart from what I was given yesterday. Yesterday just highlighted that things aren't perfect at work, and it's that which has made me choose not to go to the Xmas weekend do in Decemeber. No one apart from me knows that, but hey it will make me happier than others.

I've also got a meeting with my manager on Monday for a supervision meeting, in which I'm going try and give up some of my work load and take something a bit different. I doubt she'll allow me to, but I'm going to try and do it for sure. It's going to be an interesting discussion and I'm not sure if I'll win or not, but I don't really care to be honest.

I spent the rest of the night hoping that something would jump up and cheer me up, but it didn't. Not even watching 3 episodes of one of my favourite shows helped. I guess after that, the call of going to bed was far greater than failing to make myself happy again.

On waking up this morning I soon discovered that today has started off badly, and I hope will change for the better. Why is this so?

Ok, it's only sport, it's only the Oilers losing 7-1, and making it 6 games in a row without a win. It's early days in the season, you always get one of these games in a season, but it's the fact that it's the 6th game in a row we've been beaten. There comes a time in everyone where, something hits you and hurts. This is one of them for me anyway. I'm big on sports as you may have gathered if you have read this place on a regular basis. I'm big on hockey and the Oilers in particular, they are MY TEAM, the one if you slice me in half with a hockey stick would see written across me like Blackpool rock. I live and die for this team, and yet they put in a performace that sends you into the deepest darkest spots of depression.

I want to see good news when I wake up, nothing like that, it spoils the day, when it's meaningless to me really. I'm only a fan, I don't get paid to watch the Oilers, I'm not near enough to pay to watch the Oilers, but if I was I would and thus I feel for those fans that can. I applaud you for turning up game after game and watching this crap that has been presented as a team to you. If I were the type of person to boo the team, I would be doing so from the scoreboard in the Rexall, but that doesn't help. For some reason this is a weird post, as I'm expressing my deep love for a sporting team in a way I never thought I would.

There isn't any hope for me, but for those that happen to read this page regular or not, please don't get into sport this deep, it can seriously damage your health.

No comments: