Sunday, November 20, 2005

Passing By

Well it's Sunday and time is going by like the train at the level crossing. It's way too long to judge, but interesting to watch. Today is very much a lazy day, no need to rush to mum's to take her anywhere and I've no other commitments to undertake. I have decided to allow myself the chance to let things pass me by, as over the past week or two I've let too many things effect me.

I can recite this tale here, out of jealousy, but it's true. I had a meeting to attend on Friday at the local Special Ed high school. Ok, there are two, but they are in the same building, but that's another topic completely. Anyway, here I am going to the one I had been told to go too, when I'm told that the meeting has been changed, to the other school, but as they are joined it's no problem, just a 20 yard walk to the room. After signing in, and meeting a couple of people from work, and a couple of people who had organised the meeting, we sat down. One of the organisers went to obtain something for the meeting, either milk or water for the drinks.

On her return, we found the real reason why we'd been moved... NEW ORDER, had arranged a concert for the children in the other part of the school. Had I known, and had I the option, meeting or a New Order concert which do you think I'd attend?? Of course New Order!! Most of us in the room would have been very happy to have done, so, but instead of being able too, we had to go along with the meeting. Now then why would New Order, one of the UK's biggest bands, and one of the worlds most iconic bands play a small special ed high school gigg?? Well the story goes that the manager needed to speak to his daughter at school, and didn't know the number. So he looked up the number in the phone book, but got confused by the fact that two schools had the same name. He was so impressed by the work they do, and the fact the band is big on Salford and Manchester helped this concert come off.

I've spoken to a few of the children who attended the concert, and all they can say is how good they were. It just makes me even more jealous of them.

Apart from that Friday I went to see the latest Harry Potter film, it wasn't bad, but it does have huge chunks of the book missing. It's awful really, but then what can be done? I mean it really isn't possible to do the whole book. I took my neice and mum on Friday and then yesterday morning with work, as I was working this weekend we went to see the film again. I've got another 2 sittings of this film to undertake this week. I'll have seen it 4 times in the first week, not that I'm big on Harry Potter, but I think 4 times in a week is almost Star Wars like geekishness for me.

I've somewhat calmed down since Thursday, but I'm still not happy with the way things are going at work. I think that I need to further examine everything, but now I've got a calm, I need to maintain that. Yesterday went well, and I'm pleased to prove to myself that I can run a group and not make a mess of it. Everyone enjoyed themselves and that included the volunteers. I can do this and I will do this. It's that group which is the problem, not me. I'm now convinced of that, and I'm going to keep trying to convince myself of this. I'm not going to let my line manager tell me otherwise. I can run a group, I can do it very well, but this group is just full of tangable children that it's impossible to plan anything.

No comments: