Friday, September 22, 2006

Good Olde English Grub...

So the week is coming to an end and to be honest I've done very little except to sit on my backside and relax, which is something I don't do enough of. Saying that yesterday I took my mum up to Windermere and then we walked around Kendal, which was very nice. The weather was just perfect if not just a tad windy in places, but we couldn't have asked for anything better.

I certainly enjoyed what I saw and tasted as we stopped off on the way back at a farm shop, which did some crafts, but mainly farm foods. They also had a beautiful Tea Room, oh so very English I know, but too hell with it... As we'd not long since had a drink, we just ate and what a delight it was. My mum had a country vegatable soup, which I'm 100% sure was made of the veg off the farm, it was a proper soup in that sense and mum really enjoyed it. I on the other hand had a ham sandwich with mustard and salad. The ham was from the farm's pigs and was cured at the farm as well. The mustard complimented the ham so well that on finishing the meal and leaving the tea room, I went and purchased a jar of the said mustard in the shop downstairs.....

For me in many ways that was the highlight of the day, the reason being, for all the shop and tea room was well staffed, and it's obvious that this place does a very good trade and would probably put any local shops to shame, it was still very much a farm shop. The fact that they cooked what they produced was how it should be and how it used to be. The taste of the food was superb, and value for money. Kendal was nice the shops were great, in as much as for all the leading brands were around, they still had plenty of local shops within the town centre. For regular readers, you'll know my disdain for town/city centres which have lost the local shops to the major branded stores. Also the plaques on alot of the building told the tale of the buildings and ages, which where mainly built in the mid to late 17th century. I was thrilled to see the town centre almost exactly as it has been for 400 years.

As for previous days this week, I've spent at home or running around with mum. It's not been too bad, and I've only really thought of work on a couple of days. One of them was Wednesday when I had to go into work to drop some things off and to collect some stuff, but hey that's it till October in many ways for me and I'm excited about that. Though this time next week I'll be at the Barnardo's head office for a meeting, I'm still not classing it as work as such.

Lisa emailed me for the first time in 3 weeks on Wednesday, she's been away in America with work. To be honest I've not felt like emailing her, mainly because I knew she wouldn't be around, and I didn't have any need to either. That may sound awful, but what I mean by that, is that I didn't fall into any sort of depression or anything to prompt me to email her to tell her how bad things are. I missed her of course, but not like I did earlier this year when I went that long without emailing her. Is that a sign of me being ok?? I don't know, but this years big depression was from my presumption that Lisa had fallen out with me, and me not speaking to her for ages afterwards. I fretted and worried myself to the point of exhaustion and breaking point. This time, although different in terms of me knowning she wasn't there, I was calm and collective.

No comments: