Friday, June 29, 2012

Luck! I never have any.

You know when I talk of luck in here I've had none, things have gone wrong and it's normally the end of the world.  Well they have, but it isn't....

Let me explain, it's been a few days since I last wrote, and so those that read the last post will know I was without hot water from Wednesday of last week.  Monday of this week I heard the handy man in the house and mentioned to him about the water heater so he came in and looked and tried to fix it, but had no idea as to what was wrong and said he'd replace it, but it would more than likely be "next week" when it gets here.  I wasn't happy at being without hot water for another week or so, but at least I knew where I was up to and I was coping with boiling the kettle and a pan on the cooker.  However, the plumber then came in to check the gas...  He checked the meter that was fine, checked the fire and that was fine.  He got to the cooker and told me it was leaking!!  It was only small, but it was enough to condem the cooker.  The handy man did say he'd speak to the landlord, but I was looking at Wednesday before a new one could arrive.  It was a great start to the week, no hot water, no cooker...

Wednesday arrived, and after having salad 3 times, cous cous (which I'll probably never try again), I was happily looking forward to the a hot meal.  I'd inadvertantly had salad on Sunday night...  So I waited for the handy man to arrive knowing that I'd also have the electrician around to do the testing on all electical equiptment in the flat for safety purposes.  When the handy man arrived he brought with him my new water heater, which was not "next week", but 2 days away.  He put that into place and waited for the electrican to make his way up to my room after he'd been in other flats to test them.  He came in wired up the heater and we switched on....  Nothing, nothing happened, it ithe water didn't get hot.  We knew we had power going to it, but we had nothing so it took another 10 or 15 minutes to solve the problem, and so at last I had hot water.  He looked at my fridge and shook his head, and said he's going to fail it, whilst it was working, the door was starting to rust, well more than starting.  Which he said wasn't allowed, but for the time being I could still use it.  Whilst writing his report up, another guy came with a lovely cooker.  The handy man looked at it, and it was fine, till he realised that it was for a flat in next door and not for me...  I'd have to wait further for a new cooker.....  

Nothing was going my way, so I was hoping that Thursday would be different that he (the handy man) would come early with a new cooker for me, so I could have some lunch.  I knew I shouldn't have built my hopes up, it was just after 3pm, when he arrived.  The cooker came up, and my old one removed.  I also had a new fridge, but I couldn't use it till today (Friday).  That didn't matter I was going out on Thursday night anyway, so I wouldn't be really worring about space in the flat.  So once home I had a nice hot meal for the first time in nearly a week.  All was going well.

This morning arrived, and I got up thinking I'd have a proper breakfast and get back into my old routine.  Kettle boiled, the cup of tea made.  I left it to brew, went to get the milk out of the old fridge, the final time before switching everything around, and what do I find??  The milk had gone off!!!  I'm telling you one and all this week I've been cursed and I don't for the life of me know why.  I don't know what I've done or anything.  However, for once, when everything is going wrong around me, I've not go upset, I've not got depressed or stressed about it, I've smiled and got on with things.  When I consider less than 3 weeks ago I was breaking down over comments made by a guy in a take-away, and shutting myself away for a week from the world, I'm stunned by the way I've handled this week.  This should be the norm, I know it isn't, but it should be.  So yeah, I'm in a happy place, I've got a new water heater, which is spookily silent, for the first time in 9 years I don't have to listen to it heating up, a new cooker, and a new fridge which is going to take some getting used to.  Add to that I've been told that I'm having the flat decorated and done up in the middle of July.  This place will feel brand new all over again. 

No comments: